This new top has a few names. I wanted to name it after Adey from Sew Convert whose tutorial I followed to make it. Then when I put it on this morning for its first wear hubby called me Florence, as in Florence & The Machine.
I j’adore her so I don’t mind at all!
Here is how it all started. A t-shirt with a crocheted neckline and a length of green silk. You may remember this silk from my Vancouver post. So not only do I have a new top but I am doing some stashbusting!
I followed Adey’s tutorial as closely as I could. You fold the fabric length in half with selvages together. *Update: its folded with selvages on either side so raw edges together.* Cut out a neckhole, add facing and hem it. The facing I created by cutting out the crochet piece from my t-shirt. Then you sew a line of stitching on either side starting under your armpit down to the hem. I took her suggestion and left the selvages on. They are kind of nice with silver threads and I knew my finish wouldn’t be nicer than that!
The hem was horrible to finish. I tried a blind hem but it looked so bulky and didn’t suit the fabric. I tried a rolled hem but the fabric just wouldn’t hold it because it was so thin. I ended up just serging/overlocking the edge. I figure with the busy print and wild style it won’t be noticed.
I like it. Brings a nice dressy feel to jeans and a top. You could use a longer length of fabric and make a true full-length kaftan. I might give it a go!
What I’m listening to: Daft Punk Is Playing At My House by LCD Soundsystem