I am so pleased to be nominated for a Beautiful Blogger Award by Amy at Sewing bythe Book. When I started sewing 7 months ago I had no idea about the online community and didn’t realize that I would make such great connections. Who knew that a “career gal” with virtually no domestic skills would be sewing and knitting and blogging? Next thing you know I’ll be cooking and cleaning! 🙂
I’m supposed to list 7 things that readers don’t know about me.
1) Before I had my current office admin job I drove a school bus for 5 years. I really don’t enjoy driving and I don’t have kids (though I do like them… at a distance) but it was a great job. I also worked in the transportation office doing payroll. I once slid off the road in a winter storm with a full busload. Everyone was fine.
2) I am a very part-time wedding photographer. My hubby and I have done a dozen or so weddings together. He takes the photos and I arrange the groups, poses and keep everyone smiling. I hate my wedding pics so I take all the pics that I wish I had.
3) I collect Nero Wolfe mystery novels by Rex Stout. I have multiple copies of some because I like the different covers. I’m missing Too Many Cooks and The Father Hunt.
4) Hubby and I have attended the Sasquatch! Music Festival in George, Washington every year for the past 5 years.
5) I hosted a cable show in my hometown of Sudbury, Ontario when I was 19 or 20. It was a show where viewers submitted videos and we showed them. I got the gig because my dad and I (mostly my dad) wrote a column for the local newspaper about home videography. They wanted my dad to host but he suggested me because he was too busy.
6) I adore Michael J. Fox. Like a blushing smitten kitten. Since Family Ties. But now I think his books are the best work he’s ever done.
7) My hubby and I met in high school but he didn’t like me (?). It took me 4 years to win him over. We’ve been together since 1992.
Now I’m supposed to list blogs that I follow. Not all are sewing blogs and most have probably already received a Beautiful Blogger Award but you should check them out.
1) Already Pretty. Sal’s writing and collection of references has changed my life. I know it sounds melodramatic but I’m completely serious. Every woman (and man for that matter) should read her posts on body image and self-esteem. Her style tips are also fantastic.
2) Yes and Yes. Her tips on travel and collection of true life interviews are worth visiting to read but I follow her on Twitter for her random(?) expressions of positivity and self-love.
3) Fashion for Nerds. Audi’s style is not the same as mine but her creativity helps me push the boundaries of my own style. Check out her blog to see if you can step out of your style rut.
4) Slapdash Sewist. Her creations are beautiful and practical. One day I hope to have the collection of self-sewn items that she does.
5) Green Apples. Stitchywitch, as she’s known on Pattern Review, has sewn a couple of garments that I have also completed. I loved reading her reviews and tips before I started my own attempt. I must have logged into her High-Waisted Pants post a thousand times while I was sewing mine. Also, she has a guide for buying fabric online. Invaluable.
6) Wearing History. Not just sewing here. This is a woman that I want to know in “real” life. Her Smooth Sailing Trousers pattern and new Blanket Coat pattern are on my wishlist. (Are you reading this, Honey?)
There are others mentioned on the right side of my blog. I cannot express the appreciation that I have for the amazing support of the online sewing community. I don’t really know where my hobby would have taken me if I didn’t have the references on these sites. I probably would have packed up my machine and sent it to my mom. Sorry, mom!
What I’m Listening To: The Greatest by Cat Power